Concerned about the spiritual welfare of the neighborhood children, Nell Joy (of Joy’s Flower Gardens) and Mava Smith canvassed the streets and taught them the Bible. It was June 1907 and the little group would meet as the early Christians did, from house to house, for two years.
The generosity of the Joy family and the enthusiastic support of the Foster Street Church of Christ combined in a remarkable way. T. S. Joy, a Catholic, offered to any church in the neighborhood who would build a building, a lot on Jones Avenue opposite Cherokee Avenue. E. Mack Allen, an elder at Foster Street, arranged for Joe McPherson to hold a tent meeting in August, 1909 on this lot. McPherson, a postman by trade, preached often and was highly regarded for his revival work across Nashville.
This tent meeting resulted in several conversions/baptisms and when the congregation completed a building on Joy’s lot in May 1910, the little band of children and their teachers finally had a place of their own in which to worship. The church may have then been known as the Jones Avenue Church of Christ.
Having outgrown this building they purchased a lot at 1310-1312 Lischey Avenue in May 1923. A new building, completed in January 1925 and still standing, housed the congregation which by then had grown to between 400 and 500 members.
Two examples of their commitments to gospel preaching were when Lischey Avenue took the lead in a cooperative effort of twenty-one Churches of Christ in East Nashville for a tent meeting in 1970; at one time 77% of their regular contributions were sent to missionaries.
The Lischey Avenue and Parkwood Churches of Christ began in the middle 1970’s a series of discussions regarding a merger. Parkwood was located north of the city on Brick Church Pike. Having merged in 1978 the congregations are now known as Northside Church of Christ.